How You Can Help Your Smile Age Well
Regular dental care is important to help your smile age gracefully, but your lifestyle habits are also critical. As you age, years of staining, erosion and wear can begin to show up on your teeth and gums, causing your mouth to look older than it is. By following these great tips though, you can help to prevent premature aging in your smile.
If you’ve noticed your smile has started to look older than it should, here are a few things you can do:
1. Book a hygiene appointment – Professional cleaning and polishing removes surface stains that cannot be removed any other way. Visiting your hygienist for a good cleaning and polishing is an excellent way to quickly improve the look of your smile.
2. Whitening treatment – When stains have set in, the next best option is a professional teeth whitening from your dentist. At Ambiance Dental, we offer Zoom Teeth Whitening which will lift the colour of your teeth by up to 8 shades in a single 60 minute treatment in our office. A whiter smile immediately looks years younger.
3. Crowns and/or veneers – For teeth that cannot be whitened or those that have been damaged, shortened or chipped, dental crowns and porcelain veneers can be a great way to address various concerns that make your teeth look older and more worn than necessary.
4. Dental bonding – Many minor dental concerns can be tackled with dental bonding. Small chips, discolourations, uneveness and much more can be balanced out with dental bonding. In many cases, very minor repairs can make a world of difference in how young your smile looks.
5. Orthodontics – Straightening your teeth and addressing bite issues can help to reduce abrasion, attrition, TMJ problems and the overall esthetic of your teeth, smile and jaw line. Your smile will look revitalized after orthodontic treatment.
6. Address gum recession – Years of poor gum health and abrasion from brushing can cause the gums to receed. This can cause an uneven look and expose more of the tooth than is normal. Having your gums grafted can address recession and protect your roots.
The best way to avoid an aging smile is to reduce the factors that cause the aging in the first place. These are some of the best ways to keep your smile looking young and fresh for as long as possible.
Brush & Floss
A healthy mouth looks younger, it’s as simple as that. Tooth decay leaves your teeth open to more rapid yellowing and gum disease causes gums to recede and the overall look of your smile to deteriorate. Be sure to brush after every meal, at least twice per day, and floss daily to keep your teeth and gums looking their best.
Avoid Staining Food & Drink
Many foods and drinks will leave stains on your teeth. Over time, the stains can become prominent causing your teeth to dull and look less brilliant when you smile. Coffee, tea, red wine, tomato sauce and dark coloured berries can all leave stains on your teeth that will degrade the beauty of your smile. Choose alternatives where possible or consume food and drinks that cause staining in moderation and be sure to rinse your mouth afterward.
Reduce Abrasion & Wear
One of the most common problems that age your teeth is tooth wear. Grinding and clenching are often a significant source of tooth wear. These can be treated by discussing TMJ treatment or a mouthguard with your dentist.
Aggressive brushing can also cause abrasion which leads to more staining and faster decay and degrading of the tooth surface. Be sure to use a soft toothbrush and brush gently.
Lastly, erosion caused by acidic foods, soda and fruit juice can also impact the appearance of your teeth. It’s best to avoid overly acidic food and drinks where possible and rinse after consuming them. Do not consume acidic food or drink within 30 minutes of brushing your teeth and don’t brush directly after consumption as contact with acidity can weaken your enamel and brushing can cause damage when enamel is weak.
There is nothing worse for your teeth, gums, lips and the area around your mouth than smoking. You will typically see a significant difference in the appearance of a smokers mouth and smile versus a non-smoker. For this and so many other health reasons, consider giving up smoking to keep yourself healthier and to improve the speed you age.
When it comes to helping your smile age well, there is a lot you can do to affect it. The best aging advice wwe can provide is that it all starts with your daily habits, both the positive such as regular brushing and flossing, and reducing the negative such as smoking, drinking coffee and grinding. What you eat also makes a difference, as does managing any medication use, maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and talking to your dentist about your overal health and any chronic conditions you are dealing with.
Your dentist is an important ally on your health and wellness team. They can help you to reverse current issues and minimize future damage to keep your smile looking healthy for as long as possible.
Contact us today to book a cleaning, check up or consultation!
Leave a Comment